[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 20 17:52:01 UTC 2010

On 04/20/2010 10:59 AM, Ian Armstrong wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 April 2010, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> Unfortunately this does solve the issue as described and still requires
>>> the use of the NEXTCARD key.
>>>
>> Only when you have insufficient hardware for what you're trying to
>> do--when you have all of your physical cards tied up with recordings or
>> other Live TV sessions and you try to start a new Live TV session.  Get
>> another capture card, and it solves all your problems--the price for
>> being too lazy to hit NEXTCARD, I suppose.
>>
> But if I have only four multiplexes available why should I need to get more
> than four tuners? Those four tuners already give 100% coverage. With
> sufficient virtual tuners it's possible to watch live tv without affecting any
> recordings.

Given sufficient virtual tuners, that would be fine unless your
recordings/configuration don't allow 100% coverage.  But you need to
either have 100% coverage of available channels or 100% coverage of
desired recordings and LiveTV users.

> Although NEXTCARD does work, there's no guarantee the card you'll switch to is
> on the correct multiplex for the station you're trying watch. Depending on the
> number of tuners configured, you may have to try several times to reach the
> correct card. Although a minor inconvenience, trying to explain this to an
> elderly relative may not be so easy.

That's what the EPG is for.  Use it to go directly to the desired
channel.  Don't use Browse mode--unless you use Browse all channels (and
configure it properly).

Mike