[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

mugginz feed.mugginz at internode.on.net
Tue Apr 20 18:02:09 UTC 2010

<feed.mugginz at internode.on.net>wrote:
> > I still hope that where there's someone willing to address the root
> > problem,
> > the team leads will allow the patches.
>
> I would hope this as well.
>
> As Mike said, anyone actually developing a patch to address it will almost
> certainly encounter the "dire consequences" to recording,

There aren't really any dire consequences.

When you're dealing with hardware resource exhaustion, there are ways to deal
with it..  Allow a pre-scheduled recording to steal a tuner from LiveTV after
presenting an option to a viewer.  If the user doesn't respond within a
certain time frame, simply steal the tuner slot for the recording anyway,
alternatively, allow the current viewer to steer whether the pre-scheduled
recording gets the tuner or is canceled in order to maintain the LiveTV
session.

If there are patches to address this, it's likely the best path to introducing
them is as an option via the normal configuration screens so as to not upset
anyone wishing to maintain the old behavior.

> and hopefully
> resolve them to everyone's (or at least most everyone's) satisfaction.  In
> the mean time, this is sort of a tempest in a teapot, isn't it.
>
> EW

I wouldn't agree that it's a tempest in a teapot at all.  Of course, to
someone that has no use for LiveTV, it wouldn't be uncommon to not be able to
envisage how someone else may need different functionality to them.  That
doesn't diminish the need that others have however.