[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 20:08:43 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Douglas Peale
<Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:

> Greg Oliver wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Douglas Peale
>> <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:

>>> I want to make sure that this does not get over simplified.
>>>
>>> I have 5 tuners in my system, 3 tuners on cable, one tuner on a northwest facing antenna, and one on a south facing antenna.
>>> This means I get as many as 4 variants of a single station.
>>> On cable there are some stations that are available as analog, digital SD, and digital HD. That same station may also be available as OTA HD.
>>> Worse, at least one station is from a neighboring town, and the cable version of it gets blocked whenever the local affiliate feels like it.
>>> Usually the OTA HD quality is better than the cable HD quality, but that situation changes on certain stations that have mulipath issues OTA,
>>> and OTA station can also be affected by the weather. I have adjusted tuner and channel priorities so that recordings will be done on the highest
>>> quality source for the programming.
>>>
>>> While I can assign any channel number to any station, I have assigned the digital SD and analog stations the same numbers so that they match
>>> the numbers that show up in the guides. This means, for example, that I have an analog channel 2, a digital SD channel 2, a cable HD channel 2.1, and
>>> an OTA HD channel 2.1, all with the same programming.
>>>
>>> When using live TV and selecting channel 2, which variant of channel 2 should live TV choose? I need to be able to access all variants to be
>>> able to test the setup and to see if the cable company has played musical channels again, but if I'm channel surfing, I'd like to just surf
>>> the best quality variants of the channels.
>>
>> As long as the channel number and xmltvid are different for each
>> channel, they will all show up in the epg, and you can separately
>> select them.  Once you do like a lot of us, and match them for the
>> same show from different sources, you will need to use tuner
>> priorities to determine what order for recording to follow for the
>> same broadcast.
>>
> The flaw in this is that if you have multiple sources for the same channel, when a recording screws up, it is difficult to identify the source
> that screwed up since that is not saved with the recording. This makes it difficult to track down intermittent reception problems. For this reason,
> I have given each channel a unique name. This lets me identify the source of the recording when there is a problem, but also causes duplicate listings
> in the EPG.

This is true.  With a little remembrance of how things are setup
though (priorities, etc..) you can look at other recordings from that
time and figure it out.  I might be lucky when I say I have not missed
anything that was not the slyness of the provider though - trying to
make me watch commercials as usual :)