[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Apr 20 21:28:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 01:38:38AM +1000, mugginz wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 01:22:44 am jedi wrote:
> > >
> > > In my opinion, the major problem with that isn't how *I* use a DVR.
> > > It is everyone else who uses that system.  My wife, for instance,
> > > turns on HGTV at noon and it stays there until 5pm when she switches
> > > to WGN, and then at 7pm it's back to HGTV.  She doesn't want to
> > > schedule those shows to record, then play one, and when that one
> >
> > ...then bypass the DVR entirely. I did this with my S1 Tivo. I did
> > not waste the box on something where it really made more sense to
> > have another reciever plugged into the TV directly with nothing in
> > between.
> >
> > [deletia]
>
> So buy a PVR for LiveTV and use MythTV for recording?

No. Just buy a tuner or reciever or let your TV sort things out.

[deletia]

If LiveTV is really that important than clearly it deserves dedicated
hardware. Either way, you're going to end up with problems even if
MythTV's LiveTV function were perfectly golden. You still have the
problem of having that tuner and the system wanting to use that tuner
while someone is trying to tie it up interactively.

Ultimately, the only way to avoid man-machine conflicts here is to have
a tuner that is specifically reserved for human use and to not bother
tying it into MythTV at all.

Even something like a DirecTivo or S3 will probably generate unpredictable
and undesirable results as scheduled recordings get pre-empted by LiveTV.

"What happened last nights episode of Castle?"