[mythtv-users] Quick survey regarding passthrough device settings

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Wed Apr 21 06:48:46 UTC 2010

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

>> Jean-Yves:
>> I'm SO glad you asked.
>
> Uh which question are you talking about then?
> Because reading your answer, I have doubts :P

Yeah, I guess I was saying that because I was happy you had asked a
question regarding sound - even though what I gave you was probably more
than you needed/wanted ;-)  Sorry.

>> Sound issues are pretty much the only remaining headache with respect to
>> Myth on this box.  I have to run alsamixer (and hit the "M" key four
>> times, then ESC out) after any reboot, or I have no sound in Myth.  I
>
> looks like alsa doesn't properly save it settings for you..
>
> Set the settings the way you want them to be and what works
>
> in a terminal, type:
> sudo alsactl store
>
> re-run then
> sudo alsactl restore
>
> and make sure sounds work ...
>
> This will survive a reboot.

This does seem to have solved the problem, at least on initial testing;
after altering my frontend startup script to run "alsactl restore" prior
to calling mythfrontend, I haven't had any further problems with muted
sound so far.  The box has been in use all evening so haven't tried a
reboot yet.  Thanks very much.

>> Audio Output:  ALSA:spdif
>> Speakers: 5.1
>> Upconvert: Yes
>> Upmix: Best
>> Digital Output: ALSA:iec958:{AES0:0x06}  <-- (since 0.21; this is the
>> only setting that seemed to work - I admit that I haven't tried
>> changing it for quite a while).
>>

> Try with default with 0.23 and report then..
>
> it should work.

Nope.  Using "default" as the "Audio output" and/or the "Digital output"
did not work in any combination of device options (I tried at least 10).

The only one that works now is:
Digital Output: ALSA:iec958:{AES0:0x02}  (why 0x02 now works, I'm not
sure, it didn't before, needed 0x06).  All other settings as above.

Thanks for your help -
Bob