[mythtv-users] combined myth/server

Indulis Bernsteins indulis.b at au1.ibm.com
Wed Apr 21 19:03:44 UTC 2010

>Oh, and do yourself a favor and use a separate disk for the OS and
database.
>I didn't do that the first time out and ended up having to change things
>around. An old 40G IDE drive worked great for that, then I dedicated the
>500G SATA drive to recordings and solved some irritating drop-outs in
>recordings. Don't skimp on RAM either, particularly if you are going to
>attempt an FE install on that box as you will want to dedicate 512M to
video
>for VDPAU.

I have been running for a couple of months on one drive- I use LVM to
"split up" the drive into separate OS and data partitions or Logical
VOlumes (like disk partitions but in a nice flexible way cf PITA disk
partitions).  Nice because you can migrate them between drives, shrink,
grow (as long as filesystem you choose can do likewise).  This is a 1TB
SATA drive 3 Gbps and it can record 3-4 digital broadcasts at a time (and
do some web surfing) with no problems at all- have never had a
stutter/glitch.  I am using XFS as the filesystem tuned up as documented
in the mythtv wiki.  This probably makes a big difference compared to
ext3/4 etc- especially cluster size.

Actually the LVM is on top of RAID ("md" s/w RAID done by the Linux
kernel) but I haven't set up the 2nd drive as a mirror yet- just noticed
it the other night! I am tempting fate now...

If you use LVM then once you get a 2nd drive you can set up a "pending
mirror" RAID10 on it, then use LVM to just migrate your data to the 2nd
drive.  Once done, set up mirror on 1st drive, and let "md" synchronise
the two!

I dont agree with using an old 40GB drive as drives have a shelf life, you
are asking for trouble using an old drive.  IMHO...

Cheers,

Indulis