[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Apr 21 23:33:06 UTC 2010

On 04/21/2010 04:57 PM, Tortise wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>>       How about Tornado season?
>>>
>>> [deletia]
>>>
>>>       Sometimes, information is temporal. Sometimes this sort of
>>> information
>>> even shows up on Television.
>>>

>> That's what, "Delete oldest if this would exceed the max episodes,"
>> and, "Keep only one episode," or, "Keep at most <#> episodes," are
>> for. Or, you can just schedule recordings in the LiveTV recording
>> group and they'll be deleted (by default the day after they're
>> recorded).  Or some combination thereof.
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/387302#387302
>>
> With respect, Mike, this entirely misses the point that was made.
> Okay, so you keep 1 or 2 of the most recent tornado warnings to watch
> whenever you find it
> convenient. When are you going to watch these? After your house has been
> flattened? After the insurance guy has paid out? The key word in that
> posting
> was *temporal*. Stuff you need to know about /now/.

Note how you quoted the "Or, you can just schedule recordings in the
LiveTV recording group and they'll be deleted (by default the day after
they're recorded)" part, which explains how to record something such
that it's automatically deleted tomorrow?  This was likewise explained
in my other post that explained why sports and news should always be
recorded and never be Live TV.

I don't keep them.  I don't keep news.  I don't keep sports.  However, I
don't delete them--I don't have to.  I let my computer do the work for me.

Clearly, though, no matter what I say, it's not good enough.  And this
thread is way too long and needs to die.  This is my last response, so
feel free to put in all your comments/criticisms of my posts and I won't
even try to correct any misunderstandings/misinterpretations/misquoting/...

I will say, however, that almost everything that people in this thread
have asked for is possible with today's MythTV if they just take the
time to learn how to configure their systems properly--even the
automatically switch inputs when I ask for a channel and the current
input is locked to the wrong mux (and even through browse mode).  I'm
sure, though, it's far more fun to just say that things don't work and
assume it's because of some limitation of MythTV or some mean developers
refusing to write code to solve such a "simple problem."  (But, hey,
let's throw in some more settings, because obviously we don't have
enough--ignore the fact that no one in this thread seems to know how to
use the ones we have.)

Until someone has some code for review, there's no use continuing the
discussion.

Mike