[mythtv-users] "background" balancing disks in a storage group

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Wed Apr 21 23:36:15 UTC 2010

* On Wed Apr 21, 2010 at 06:07:07PM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> Given that one of the nice features of storage groups is to spread disk
> i/o load among spindles, I wonder if there is anything (i.e.
> transparently) balancing space amongst disks in a storage group to keep
> the disks evenly available in space.

Nothing exists like this currently.  We have talked about the idea
previously, in fact I have a patch which adds code to the JobQueue
to do the actual file migration.  There are a bunch of other things
on my TODO list that are higher priority that this though.  If someone
wants to code this up, patches are more than welcome if discussed
ahead of time.  Your only option right now is to use the new 'balance
disk space' option for Storage Groups in 0.22 and above, or to balance
things manually yourself (what I do occasionally), or to write a perl
script or hack something like my myth_archive_job.pl sample User Job
to do this.

--
Chris