[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Apr 22 17:11:42 UTC 2010

On Thursday 22 April 2010 11:02:52 am Clay wrote:

> > > I really can't think of any valid use case for watching live TV.
>
>      How about Tornado season?
>
> [deletia]
>
>      Sometimes, information is temporal. Sometimes this sort of information
> even shows up on Television.
>
> I've never lived in tornado country so I don't know what the alert process
>  is. My aunt, who does live in tornado alley, says she grabs a portable
>  radio, cell phone, and a jug of wine, and climbs into the bathtub.

A good approach. Radio stations are more likely to be able to remain on the
air without commercial power than TV stations. TV transmitters use a lot more
power than radio stations, and often depend on multiple microwave links and
other things that tend to go bork in bad weather.

Best to use every communications resource you have available. If Myth is part
of that mix by all means use it, but not as your only source of info.

Usually one AM radio station in each area is designated as the EAS emergency
station (holdover from the old Conelrad system). Ever wonder what those little
triangles on old AM radio dials are about? Such stations usually have good
backup power and secure facilities. Often they are more reliable than the NOAA
weather radio stations.

Plus, it's a known fact that tornadoes are repelled by good wine.