[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

mugginz feed.mugginz at internode.on.net
Thu Apr 22 19:10:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 09:33:06 am Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/21/2010 04:57 PM, Tortise wrote:
> > Michael T. Dean wrote:

> >> That's what, "Delete oldest if this would exceed the max episodes,"
> >> and, "Keep only one episode," or, "Keep at most <#> episodes," are
> >> for. Or, you can just schedule recordings in the LiveTV recording
> >> group and they'll be deleted (by default the day after they're
> >> recorded).  Or some combination thereof.
> >>
> >> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/387302#387302
> >
> > With respect, Mike, this entirely misses the point that was made.
> > Okay, so you keep 1 or 2 of the most recent tornado warnings to watch
> > whenever you find it
> > convenient. When are you going to watch these? After your house has been
> > flattened? After the insurance guy has paid out? The key word in that
> > posting
> > was *temporal*. Stuff you need to know about /now/.
>
> Note how you quoted the "Or, you can just schedule recordings in the
> LiveTV recording group and they'll be deleted (by default the day after
> they're recorded)" part, which explains how to record something such
> that it's automatically deleted tomorrow?  This was likewise explained
> in my other post that explained why sports and news should always be
> recorded and never be Live TV.
>
> I don't keep them.  I don't keep news.  I don't keep sports.  However, I
> don't delete them--I don't have to.  I let my computer do the work for me.
>
> Clearly, though, no matter what I say, it's not good enough.  And this
> thread is way too long and needs to die.  This is my last response, so
> feel free to put in all your comments/criticisms of my posts and I won't
> even try to correct any misunderstandings/misinterpretations/misquoting/...
>
> I will say, however, that almost everything that people in this thread
> have asked for is possible with today's MythTV if they just take the
> time to learn how to configure their systems properly--even the
> automatically switch inputs when I ask for a channel and the current
> input is locked to the wrong mux (and even through browse mode).  I'm
> sure, though, it's far more fun to just say that things don't work and
> assume it's because of some limitation of MythTV or some mean developers
> refusing to write code to solve such a "simple problem."  (But, hey,
> let's throw in some more settings, because obviously we don't have
> enough--ignore the fact that no one in this thread seems to know how to
> use the ones we have.)
>
> Until someone has some code for review, there's no use continuing the
> discussion.
>
> Mike

You keep suggesting that your work around which provides the "proper
configuration" will provide people what they're after but it still doesn't
work.  When you do this you may be confusing people who are expecting what you
say will work when it actually doesn't.

Code will obviously take some time but is on its way.

Either doing this

1/   Disable "Avoid conflicts between LiveTV and recordings"
2/   Delete all capture cards
3/   Create each capture card with Max Recordings=1
4/   Connect Inputs

or using the following

1/   Disable "Avoid conflicts between LiveTV and recordings"
2/   Delete all capture cards
3/   Create each capture card with Max Recordings=2
4/   Connect Inputs
6/   Enable "Avoid conflicts between LiveTV and recordings"

Even with "borwse all channels" enabled in either case doesn't do what you say
it will do.  This is with 0.23.  And further, even with 0.21 and 0.22 and
outlined below by others.