[mythtv-users] Help me choose a Redhat based OS for MythBackend

Mike Andy beatbreaker82 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 00:58:58 UTC 2010

Hi,

As per subject title, Help me choose a Redhat based OS for MythBackend.

The purpose of me having this backend/server is not only to keep my
recordings up on my backend but it's to teach me about samba/nfs
filesharing, DNS & DHCP servers, ssh, vnc, apache, security, vim, bash
scripting, maintaining server uptime, etc...

I've used Arch Linux before for a baptism in fire of how to get Linux
working and I was very happy with that but then i got a job and our
servers run OpenSuSE, so I changed the backend to that to help with
practice there.

Now I've learnt enough about SuSE and I'm tiered of yast holding my
hand every time I make settings changes and I've always wanted to
learn Red Hat anyway.

My options I thought were going to be:
CentOS - seems to be closest to RHEL, but i'm worried about it not
having the latest dependencies i'll need.
Fedora - a good option but i'm also worried about the fast 6 month
release cycles, and the fact that it'll be different (I heard they're
going to stop using init and go with upstart)
Mythdora - It'll be the same as Fedora but hold my hand even more?
RHEL - $$$$$
Scientific Linux - ???

Any other suggestions?

I'm most keen on CentOS but is there anyone out there who got mythtv
0.23 working on there yet with a minimal of fuss?

I'm currently using mythbuntu for my 2 frontends and i'm pretty happy
with them, upgrading/reinstalling them every 6 months is of minimal
effort and also keeps me mildly intouch with the Debian side of
things.