[mythtv-users] Short random freezes with 100% io

Barry Williams bazzawill at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 02:20:19 UTC 2010

I am trying to track down the cause of random freezes in video
playback I tracked down some of it to commercial flagging hogging 100%
cpu which I have now delayed out of prime time which is a shame but
livable. Now I am getting freezing less often and less severe freezing
with no noticable impact on cpu but 100% utilisation of the recording
drive it only freezes for a few seconds and only a few times a night.

System is as follows
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
4Gb ram
Nvidia G96 [GeForce 9500 GT]
WDC WD10EAVS-00D 1tb media drive (ext4)
Dvico dual4 tuner

We do not have the best reception here but it does not appear to be
related as the problem does not reoccur if I watch the same
program/section that froze.
I have tried fsck but that finishes very quickly with everything in
order. I have just modified the mount options to noatime,barrier=0 to
see if that helps.
Anything else I should try?
Thanks
Barry