[mythtv-users] Case fan for M350 case

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 16:58:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> Brian Long wrote:
>>
>> The M350 is a tight case with the Zotac ION board having a clearance
>> of just over 1cm between the heatsink and the outer shell.  They
>> include 1 bracket which can hold up to two 40mm x 10mm fans or a
>> 2.5-inch laptop disk.  I tried using a small 60mm x 10mm fan without
>> the bracket, but even with silicone stand-offs between it and the
>> heatsink, it was louder than the 40mm fans.
>>
>> I would love to figure out how to adapt a slow-moving 80mm fan (like
>> an undervolted Nexus or Scythe) to the case, even if I had to mount it
>> externally.  These M350 cases are nice, but I'd really like to keep
>> the Atom + ION cooler.  I'm not as concerned with aesthetics since the
>> cases are hidden in an entertainment center and a closet.  :-)
>>
> If your cases aren't visible, then why on earth did you go for something
> like a M350? Why not just go for something that does the job rather than
> something pretty? By "does the job" I mean: can hold your chosen motherboard
> and peripherals; has room for the fans /you/ need to keep it cool (and
> quiet!); and fits in the space available in your entertainment center and
> closet.
>
> Cases like the M350 are for when your box has to be on view to the
> neighbours.

Good question.  I liked the idea of a very small case without extra
room for an unnecessary internal power supply.  I also wanted passive
cooling and the ability to attach it to the back of my LCD TV.  This
case purported to fit those requirements and it was not expensive like
some other mini-ITX cases.

Now that my new LCD TV is in place, I'm thinking of putting the box in
a closet and just running a Monoprice CL2-rated HDMI cable between it
and the TV.  :)  No need to mount it to the back of the TV so far.
Plans changed.

I still like the case since it matches the size of the mini-ITX
motherboard form factor very closely.  Unfortunately, being so small,
it doesn't accept standard 80mm case fans.

Now that my plans have changed, I might get out the dremel and remove
a 80mm x 80mm square from the top of the case, attach a quiet 80mm fan
with finger guard and call it a day.  It's still running the nice
low-power ION motherboard which was my primary goal.

/Brian/