[mythtv-users] IOBOUND errors after kernel upgrade from 2.6.31 to 2.6.32

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Wed Apr 28 14:08:09 UTC 2010

On 27/04/10 15:16, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Tom Dexter<digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Sunday I did various updates on my Gentoo frontend/backend systems.
>>   Once of them was an upgrade from the 2.6.31 kernel to
>> 2.6.32...specifically sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.31-r6 to
>> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.32-r7.
>>
>> I noticed a few skips in some recorded programs last night, like there
>> were small pieces missing.  I discovered that over the two nights
>> since that upgrade I've gotten several IOBOUND errors while recording.
>>   If I count just the "IOBOUND begin" messages I see 19 of them.
>>
>> I just unzipped all my old logs and can see that prior to that (all
>> the way back to February) I've had non at all.  There wasn't much of
>> anything else involved in the upgrade that I would expect to cause
>> those.  I've rebooted the backend to the 2.6.31 kernel and will see
>> how it goes tonight (I have a lot of recordings scheduled).  That
>> should tell me for sure whether or not the kernel is the issue.
>>
>> Is anyone aware of any new kernel settings that might affect
>> this...scheduler changes etc??
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Tom
>>

> I forgot to mention...I'm using EXT4 on my recording drive.  I
> converted from EXT3 at the beginning of March and that's been working
> fine.  Also, that's on an LVM2 volume.
>
> Tom

This probably isn't directly relevant - I'm using f12, and previously
f10 - but I had a flurry  of IOBOUND problems shortly after installing a
second disk.  I may not have handled the BIOS properly then.  But since
adding elevator=deadline to the boot command line, and using 'ionice
-c3' with commands that would put a high load on the disk interfaces, I
haven't seen IOBOUND recurring.

John P