[mythtv-users] IOBOUND errors after kernel upgrade from 2.6.31 to 2.6.32

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 19:30:41 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 3:09 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> There's definitely something different in 2.6.32.  All those IOBOUND
>>> errors do in fact go away when I reboot to 2.6.31.
>>
>> Kids, this goes firmly into the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" part
>> of the file cabinet.  What exactly are you gaining by upgrading from
>> 2.6.31 to anything?  I'm very much in the camp that MythTV is an
>> appliance and should be treated as such and not upgraded unless
>> absolutely necessary and then very specifically and with great care to
>> not change a million things at the same time.
>>

> This week 2.6.32.7 has become the gentoo "stable" kernel. As for
> updating with gentoo its always best to keep your system at least a
> little up to date because the further you get away from that the more
> manual work will be needed when you ultimately update. For mythtv I
> have had my masterbackend have nearly 1 year of uptime before needing
> to reboot, however for the last 3 years my masterbackend has been my
> main desktop computer at home so I need to keep that current.
>
> John

You got that right.  I know a lot of folks take that "treat it like an
appliance and never update it" approach, and I can understand the
reasons for that.  However that has it's downsides as well.  Once you
do run into a reason to upgrade (for example 0.22-fixes/Qt4) there's a
good chance you'll be so woefully out of date that you'll have to
build the whole system from scratch.

I view these "why did you update your system" replies the same way I
view the "what are you watching live tv for" replies ;).

Besides, if any update breaks things I can always get back to where I
was within an hour using ext3 dumps I have of the OS, though I've
never had to with my MythTV boxes.

Tom