[mythtv-users] Wishlist - Allow mythfrontend to suspend

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Thu Apr 29 01:12:11 UTC 2010

On 04/28/10 19:50, Chris Adams wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 3:36 AM, Dale Pontius <DEPontius at edgehp.net> wrote:
>> I've been building my mythappliance, a frontend machine.  Part of being
>> an appliance and not a computer is rapid start, and I have all of that
>> working - even from the remote.
>>
>> Out of ignorance, I first began suspending the machine by script, while
>> mythfrontend was active.  Some of the time that worked, sometimes it
>> didn't.  With a little hindsight, it's rather obvious that the
>> connections to the backend machine get dropped during a long suspend.
>> So now I kill mythfrontend prior to suspending, and restart after.  It
>> works, but it does take mythfrontend a visible amount of time to start up.
>>
>> So here's the wish:
>>
>> Give mythfrontend "suspend" and "wake" commands.  Basically "suspend"
>> would leave the frontend resident and operating, but shut down the
>> connections to the backend server.  During that interval, the OS could
>> put the machine into suspend.  Conversely, "wake" simply reconnects to
>> the backend server.
>>
>> Faster, more appliance-like.
>>

> Set the network interface's state to down before suspending.
> mythfrontend detects a lost connection and pops up a "connection lost"
> dialog box.
>
> When you resume, clicking OK will attempt reconnection - either the
> dialog disappears and myth begins working, or it pops up again. Nice
> and simple for your users to understand.
>
> I've even seen mythfrontend reconnect by itself after a backend
> restart (but that might be because the backend advertised itself at
> startup via bonjour or something.)
I can certainly give that a try - but maybe I really have already.  My
frontend system uses forcedeth for eth0, which is blacklisted by
hibernate-script.  So I see eth0 dropping and coming back as part of
suspend.  I suspect the trick is having Myth be on the right screen when
this happens.  When I was suspending with Myth active, sometimes it came
back OK, sometimes it came back with the "connection lost" dialog, and
sometimes it would just crash.

Unfortunately, when I try to "jumpmainmenu" on this system, it jumps to
the main menu, then goes to LiveTV - every time - from the remote or
telnet/nc.

Dale Pontius