[mythtv-users] Advice please: school mythtv project
joe at thefrys.com
Thu Apr 29 14:47:43 UTC 2010
> > Failing that the systems could have linux installed instead of windows
> and then run windows in a virtual machine.
> Too much trouble... I am already investing/donating more time than I
> should to the school. I need to keep it as simple as possible or I run
> the risk of the project failing.
How about keeping it real simple.
1. Train a couple of students/teachers on how to record shows.
2. Teachers email a request for a recording and those individuals mentioned
in step 1 initiate the recording.
3. The recorded show is then transcoded (smaller file for wifi streaming)
and saved to a network share with a descriptive name by a job script.
4. Users open their V: drive (or whatever) and find the show they requested.
5. Additional request could be made for commercial removal and archive to
DVD which could be done manually using mythfrontend by those you train.
There are several reasons I suggest this route.
1. I can't imagine that there will be so many recordings that it would
greatly inconvenience the couple of people you train to fire up mythweb and
schedule a recording.
2. If there are conflicts (IE no tuners available) then no one will be
deleting other teachers recordings (first come first served)
3. Little chance of needing to retrain because most will only use it once a
4. Upgrades/changes only require a short training session with those couple
5. VERY simple setup, just a standard mythtv FE/BE load and Samba is all you
6. Lets the teachers use familiar software (Windows Media Player for
example) to playback their material.
I have found that teachers understand simple processes. So if you tell them
to send an email to a special mailbox/distribution list at least 24 hours in
advance and they will have the recording in their V: the day after the
program airs... they will think it's the best thing since sliced bread. If
they have to figure something out, many of them will record it at home and
ask for a tv/vcr cart the following day.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the mythtv-users