[mythtv-users] 720p plasma with myth

Dan Littlejohn dan.littlejohn at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 20:05:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Joey Morris <rjmorris at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> "R. G. Newbury" <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote on Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at
> 10:41:04AM -0400:
> > If you are using an HDHR for OTA, and get anything near reasonable
> > signals from local stations, do NOT EVEN THINK about getting
> > something as low-end as 1024x768.
>
> Hmm, the other respondents with plasmas at 1024x768 seem happy with
> the quality. Lindsay and Dave, are you using a 1080i source? Does
> anyone regret going with 720p at 42"?
>
> > Take yourself off to the local BestBuy, and take a long look at the
> > 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 screens there. The cost difference is not
> > much. The difference in visual effect is astounding.
> > I have a 37" LG with 1364x768 (or whatever those exact numbers are)
> > at home, and a 30" Dell 1920x1200 here on the desktop. There IS a
> > difference in the image even with the same video file. Don't make
> > yourself feel disappointed down the road. I wish that I had spent
> > the extra $200 for the extra resolution.
>
> From what I've read, it's very difficult to detect the difference
> between 720p and 1080p at screen sizes less than 50" unless you're
> really close to the screen. And I expect my viewing distance to be a
> little above average for a 42" set. Most recommendations I've seen
> have said that all other things being equal, you should save yourself
> that extra $200 and stick with 720p at 42". Your comparison between a
> 37" 1366x768 and a 30" 1920x1200 doesn't seem like a fair one because
> they're different sizes.
>
> > On another point, since you may be switching back and forth between
> > direct tuning and myth input, make sure that whichever TV you
> > purchase has a simple and direct route for making that switch. When
> > we purchased, my wife liked a Sharp unit (which turned out to have
> > some comb artifacts which were very annoying). It required nearly a
> > dozen key-presses to change inputs. The replacement LG has a
> > dedicated button on the remote for that purpose. While looking (the
> > second time) I noted that some Sony and Panasonice models had that
> > same problem as the Sharp unit. Nothing to do with the picture, just
> > a bad user interface. You're spending enough money that you should
> > get something easy to use *exactly* as you want to use it.
>
> Thanks, that's a good point. I'll investigate that on the TVs I'm
> considering. Perhaps a programmable remote would be a reasonable
> solution if I really like a TV but its remote is missing this
> feature.

We waited quite a while before getting a HD TV and literally just plugged in
the HDMI cable and switched X to what ever the auto setting was and it
worked.

And once you get a good programmable remote there is no going back.
Combining 5 remotes into one and being able to switch inputs and run macros
makes it a must have for our setup. We have had a MX-500 remote for at least
6 years and love it.

Dan