[mythtv-users] How to configure DVB-T and DVB-S

Gavin Whitehead gavin at alabastercranium.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 30 22:49:37 UTC 2010

Folks,

I am new to MythTV and have been playing with 0.23RC2 for a while now.

I have two tuner cards:
    WinTV NOVA TD-500    (dual DVB-T)
    WinTV NOVA HD S2     (single DVB-S2)

I have tried a couple of different combinations of Video Sources and
Input Connections and thought it about time I asked from some advice on
how best to set this up.

I am UK based and want FreeView and FreeSat to both be available for
Recording/LiveTV.

Configuration 1
==========

Capture card 1 : DVB-T Adapter 1
Capture card 2 : DVB-T Adapter 2
Capture card 3 : DVB-S Adapter 1

Video Source 1 : EIT

Input Connection 1 : Capture card 1 -> EIT
Input Connection 2 : Capture card 2 -> EIT
Input Connection 3 : Capture card 3 -> EIT

Setting up Input Connection 1 does a DVB-T scan and returns 86 channels
(FreeView).
Setting up Input Connection 2 uses the previous scan.
Setting up Input Connection 3 does a DVB-S scan and returns 469 channels
(FreeSat).

Recording seems to work well under this configuration but LiveTV is
useless.  LiveTV starts on channel 1 (BBC One via Freeview) but as soon
as I change channels to a FreeSat channel LiveTV stops with the error
"Irrecoverable tuner error".  While in LiveTV I cannot switch Input or
switch source.

Configuration 2
==========

Capture card 1 : DVB-T Adapter 1
Capture card 2 : DVB-T Adapter 2
Capture card 3 : DVB-S Adapter 1

Video Source 1 : EIT1
Video Source 2 : EIT2

Input Connection 1 : Capture card 1 -> EIT1
Input Connection 2 : Capture card 2 -> EIT1
Input Connection 3 : Capture card 3 -> EIT2

Again recording seems to work well under this configuration and now
LiveTV is better but still not perfect.  I have marked most of the
channels as visible=0 leaving 10 channels (5 from FreeView and 5 from
FreeSat) for testing.  In LiveTV, when I use CHANNELUP many of the
'invisible' channels can be reached  They do not appear in the guide
(neither MFE or MythWeb).  How do I stop these channels from being
selectable.

Configuration 3
==========

Capture card 1 : DVB-T Adapter 1
Capture card 2 : DVB-T Adapter 2
Capture card 3 : DVB-S Adapter 1

Video Source 1 : EIT
Video Source 2 : uk_rt (xmltv grabber)

Input Connection 1 : Capture card 1 -> uk_rt
Input Connection 2 : Capture card 2 -> uk_rt
Input Connection 3 : Capture card 3 -> EIT

Now LiveTV is much better but still not perfect.  I have marked most of
the channels as visible=0 leaving about 10 channels (5 from FreeView and
5 from FreeSat) for testing.  Moving between channels (CHANNELUP etc) is
retricted to the channels on the current tuner for which visible=1.
However, recording seems to be problematic.  I haven't tested this
configuration much yet but it seems to me that my recording rules often
record the same program twice.  For example, if I set up a rule to
record Jonathon Ross on Friday nights and there is some discrepancy
between the EIT data and the uk_rt (xmltv) data for the show the
recording schedule shows it will record it from both FreeView and
FreeSat (I guess it is being treated as two different programs).

Am I right in thinking that to be able to view DVB-T channels and DVB-S
channels in LiveTV I must configure different two different Video Sources?

How do other people configure this in the UK?

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,

Gavin