[mythtv-users] MythTV wiki page for IguanaIR

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 04:26:45 UTC 2010

I'm struggling to get off the starting blocks with getting my IguanaIR
working with Mythbuntu 10.04 and hope someone can fill in the missing
blanks between the wiki page (thanks to derdave for writing it!) and
the support wiki page on IguanaWorks website.

I have been able to add the IguanaWorks deb repos to
/etc/apt/sources.list.  I tried the command shown on the IguanaWorks
"Getting Started" wiki page,
        dpkg -i iguanaIR-0.24-1.i386.deb
but that didn't work.  Didn't see anything else that would clue me in
on how to get the iguanaIR driver downloaded, but managed to figure
out how with synaptic,
    (fired up synaptic, searched for iguanair, and selected the
iguanair package only, ignoring the other [two? python bindings and
sources?] packages)
and it appears to be installed since /etc/init.d/iguanaIR now exists
and runs, as does /usr/bin/igdaemon.

HOWEVER...

Despite having done the command line three-step dance:
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get build-dep lirc
        sudo apt-get -b source lirc
and gotten all sorts of message text flying by on the screen, when I
execute the next command,
        sudo dpkg -i
I get an error message.  It appears this is an incomplete command, so I tried
        sudo dpkg -i lirc
but that didn't work.  That's problem #1.

Also, on the MythTV IguanaIR wiki page it talks about making sure to
hold back the several lirc related libs/packages to prevent them from
being re-installed, which makes sense, but I haven't a clue how to do
that.  That's problem #2.

I'm hoping once I get past these two humps in the road I can handle
the rest, having been using MythTV since I set up my first system
following Jarod Wilson's fine (albeit now dated) webpage on installing
MythTV with FC6.

Can anyone tell me how to accomplish the two tasks above?

TIA,
Craig.