[mythtv-users] XMLTV RT GRabber Channels but No Programs

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 11:48:14 UTC 2010

On 1 August 2010 11:43, Charlie Mason <charlie.mas at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 1 August 2010 09:13, Charlie Mason <charlie.mas at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I am trying to get MythTV to use XMLTV to grab listings for UK Freesat
>>> using the Radio Times grabber. I have configured the Freesat.xmltv in
>>> the ~/.mythtv directory. I have also input the XMLTV ids into the
>>> channel table.
>>>
>>> When I run mythfilldatabase it seems to run XMLTV fine, it even
>>> imports the Channel Icons, but I don't get any listings data populated
>>> for the Freesat Channels.
>>
>> Listings have been missing from the Radio Times server on and off for
>> the last few days. This is being discussed on the xmltv-users list,
>> which you might want to follow if you use XMLTV.
>
> Thanks for the info. I was trying various times yesterday and assumed
> it was my fault but I couldn't see any part of the config I had
> missed. Do you know of a URL I can use just to see sample of the data
> RT are providing the so I can see if its missing in future?

The RT service is usually very reliable, but when it does go on the
blink it's usually mentioned on this or the xmltv-users list. Some say
MythTV listings are a matter of life and death, but they're more
important than that :). Problems are usually sorted out within a day
or two by the RT.

One of the BBC1 files you could check when listings seem to be missing is at:

http://xmltv.radiotimes.com/xmltv/95.dat

>> Listings do seem to have been restored this morning, so I'd try again
>> now if you haven't tried yet this morning (after 0600).
>>
>>> I diced to manually run the grabber with the Freesat.xmltv config
>>> file. The output XML contains all the Channel entries and the URLs to
>>> the channel icons. It does not contain any Program entries, which
>>> would explain why no listings are getting updated.
>>
>> Run the grabber with the '--debug' option to get more detailed
>> information on what's going on. If you still don't get any listings,
>> please send me the debug info.
>>
>>> I did have to upgrade XMLTV because the RT grabber is broken in Ubuntu
>>> Lucid Lynx so I installed a more up to date version from an Ubuntu PPA
>>> specifically built to resolve the Lucid Lynx issue. From what I can
>>> tell XMLTV is installed ok.
>>
>> What's the output from:
>>
>> $ tv_grab_uk_rt --version
>
> When I ran it this morning it got further and then produced an error
> about a Time Zone delta. Googling I found it was an XMLTV bug that's
> been patched. So I manually installed XMLTV from source so I am now
> running 0.5.57 before it was using 0.5.56.
>
> It now seems to be working fine now.

Great - fingers crossed it's back to its reliable self from today.

If you're comfortable building from source (or you have access to a
repository that provides CVS builds), I might suggest you track the
latest CVS version of XMLTV. The RT's update last week has made
changes to how series/episode numbering is provided which the release
version (0.5.57) of the grabber does not fully support and can cause
odd programme titles to be produced. I've been updating the grabber
over the last few days to support those (and other) changes I've
noticed.

Cheers,
Nick

--