[mythtv-users] How turn on / off external box

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Aug 1 20:33:05 UTC 2010

On Sunday, August 01, 2010 01:57:27 pm Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> I just got my HDPVR and satellite IRD, and I'm figuring out the channel
> change script stuff.
>
> But, what's not obvious to me is how does myth know to turn the external
> sat box on/off?  And what script does that?

Why do you want to turn it off? I seem to recall reading somewhere that most STBs draw the same power when on as when off,
perhaps a fraction of a watt less, but essentially the same.

The cable companies want to be able to address the box whether you have it on or not, for one of their innumerable channel
lineup changes or to make other "upgrades".

I'm not sure if this is true of satellite receivers or not.

You might want to look into whether it makes a difference in your case or not, it might not be worth the effort.

I would assume you could send the "on" or "off" code using your channel change script. You might have to put a delay after
sending the "on" code before sending the channel data, to allow it to boot up.

My DISH VIP722 takes the better part of a minute to boot up, which is why I've not looked into turning it off.