[mythtv-users] How turn on / off external box

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 21:15:02 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 8:33 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Sunday, August 01, 2010 01:57:27 pm Michelle Dupuis wrote:
>> I just got my HDPVR and satellite IRD, and I'm figuring out the channel
>> change script stuff.
>>
>> But, what's not obvious to me is how does myth know to turn the external
>> sat box on/off?  And what script does that?
>
> Why do you want to turn it off? I seem to recall reading somewhere that most STBs draw the same power when on as when off,
> perhaps a fraction of a watt less, but essentially the same.
>
> The cable companies want to be able to address the box whether you have it on or not, for one of their innumerable channel
> lineup changes or to make other "upgrades".
>
> I'm not sure if this is true of satellite receivers or not.
>
> You might want to look into whether it makes a difference in your case or not, it might not be worth the effort.
>
> I would assume you could send the "on" or "off" code using your channel change script. You might have to put a delay after
> sending the "on" code before sending the channel data, to allow it to boot up.

Often the "on" and "of" are the same code (ie it is a toggle) so you
need to know the state of the box, which of course may be changed by
users other than the computer.

Often though other buttons turn the machine on if it is off, commonly
you can hit a channel button and it will fire up the box.

Of course all models are different and YMMV.