[mythtv-users] How turn on / off external box

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Aug 2 14:12:42 UTC 2010

On Monday, August 02, 2010 08:06:52 am Johnny Walker wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 4:24 AM, Mike Perkins
>
> <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> > Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> >> You're right - it's always "on", but the screen shows a "power on"
> >> message when it is "off".  Yes, that's stupid.  I have to figure our
> >> the on/off state
> >> somehow later on.
> >>
> >> I read somewhere that the  IRD will turn itself off if no button has
> >> been pushed in 3 hours.
> >
> > Good luck with recording "Cleopatra", "Ben Hur", "Lawrence of Arabia"....
> >

> Gone with the Wind, Angels in America, Morning Express with Robin Meade ...

And especially the uncut version of Das Boot (though I don't think anyone would actually broadcast that, it's close to 5
hours).

Then there's just about any opera by Richard Wagner. The Ring Cycle components all run over 4 hours, Lohengrin is well
over 3 hours, Parsifal likewise.

I'd contact your satellite supplier to find out if:

It's true in the first place.

It can be over-ridden.

You might be able to set up a cron job that sends a harmless code to the IRD at intervals to keep it awake.