[mythtv-users] PS3 doesn't see Mythtv / upnp

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 02:15:11 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 8:56 PM, Joe <j.commisso at verizon.net> wrote:

> On 08/02/2010 11:28 AM, emarkert at aim.com wrote:
>
>>I know my router (Netgear) has a setting to turn on UPNP broadcasting...
>
> Sorry about the last email that didn't have my actual reply.  My mouse has
> been double clicking on its own lately.
>
> You don't need to turn on upnp on your router - in fact, you should leave it
> turned off.
>
> Thanks, I turned it off in the router.
>
> You need to allow inbound traffic from your ps3's ip address to tcp port
> 6544 and udp port 1900 on your myth box.
>
> Thanks, I now can run the iptables firewall again with both ports open.
> I downloaded a UPnP browser onto my iPod and can see the MythTV server on
> the iPod, but still not on the PS3.
> Both are wireless and get their IP automatically from the Linksys wrt54gL.
> I tried turning off the firewall on the Linksys, but it didn't help.
> I then tried updating the FW on the PS3. It was v3.15. Now it's something
> higher. The latest.
> Still can't find any media servers, but the iPod doesn't have any problem.
> Since the PS3 was able to get it's update using the wireless lan, it has a
> wifi connection.

Some routers are multicast crippled on wi-fi..  if you have a
multicast enable setting somewhere, enable it on the wlan..  also, if
mythtv is on wired, and ps3 is on wireless (like you said), then
suitable properties must be set..  Some routers do not allow this..

Anyhow, it is more than likely a bridging (passing  multicast) issue
between your wired and wireless segments..