[mythtv-users] First myth deleted most of my recordings, then it deleted all and all schedules.

Jon Whitear jon at whitear.org
Tue Aug 3 05:24:43 UTC 2010

> >> Got MythWeb open on the 'net?
> >
> > Ugh. You're right. The auth got messed up in some upgrade.
>
> Tonight I scanned my logfiles and found two IP addresses in Germany
> going after my MythTV. I restored the htdigest file and sent an abuse
> email to the registrant of the IP addresses (both were from the same
> ISP).
>
> Thanks again.

That's a hard way to learn that lesson, unfortunately. I don't think you could really argue that it was abuse - as far as I recall there have been incidents of Google's spider deleting recordings, because all it's doing is following links.

This does seem to happen too easily. My backend's on Mythbuntu 10.04, and it seems to me that Mythweb's auth goes away whenever I do an update. Fortunately my Mythweb is not linked from anywhere else, so it's unlikely to be found by chance. I don't know if that's a Mythbuntu problem or something specific to my setup - I just need to remember to re-run the control centre and reconfigure Mythweb auth whenever I update.

Cheers,

Jon