[mythtv-users] Can't get it to work

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 21:56:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Mark Tiddens
<tiddens at jumpingdolphins.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to find a Linux alternative to the WinTV7 software that gets all
> channels, including clear QAM channels numbering in the thousands.  WinTV7
> was simple to set up, and gets these channels.  TVtime works, but doesn't
> get these channels.
>
> I've spent many hours trying to get MythTV to work, and I am fairly
> computer-literate.  I am trying to get it to work on a system using Ubuntu
> 9.10 and the Hauppauge 950Q USB stick (which works great on my Windows
> machine with their WinTV7 software, and also works on my Ubuntu machine with
> TVtime).  I have read everything and tried everything.  One question is if
> MythTV really requires a subscription to SchedulesDirect to use MythTV?
> WinTV7 doesn't require this.
>
> Anyway, I was getting the error message Re: Mythtv is using all inputs, but
> there are no active recordings, and read and tried everything on the
> Internet about this.  I noticed that scanning or fetching TV channels
> wouldn't work, so I signed up with SchedulesDirect to see if this would
> help, even though I don't want to be forced to sign up and pay for this
> service.  And now when I run Mythtv and try "Watch TV" it says "Please W…"
> and then goes back to the menu.

You need to check your backend logs.  In general, this means that you
have misconfigured something in mythtv-setup.  You do need to scan for
channels.  Each item in mythtv-setup is numbered because they are
non-optional and must be done, completely, in order.

> Help!
>
> I work for CatchTheWaveTV.com, makers of The Wave, a PC designed to connect
> to TV's, and we want everything to be pre-installed, so if Mythtv must use
> this SchedulesDirect, we cannot implement it in The Wave.

Sounds like MythTV isn't the right option for you.  MythTV is
functionally useless or near-useless without guide data.  In the US,
the only legal method of obtaining guide data for all services and
locales is SchedulesDirect.  This means paying the yearly fee.

Robert