[mythtv-users] Can't get it to work

Greg greg12866 at nycap.rr.com
Wed Aug 4 22:10:58 UTC 2010

On 08/04/2010 05:47 PM, Mark Tiddens wrote:

> I'm trying to find a Linux alternative to the WinTV7 software that
> gets all channels, including clear QAM channels numbering in the
> thousands.  WinTV7 was simple to set up, and gets these channels.
> TVtime works, but doesn't get these channels.
>
> I've spent many hours trying to get MythTV to work, and I am fairly
> computer-literate.  I am trying to get it to work on a system using
> Ubuntu 9.10 and the Hauppauge 950Q USB stick (which works great on my
> Windows machine with their WinTV7 software, and also works on my
> Ubuntu machine with TVtime).  I have read everything and tried
> everything.  One question is if MythTV really requires a subscription
> to SchedulesDirect to use MythTV?  WinTV7 doesn't require this.
>
> Anyway, I was getting the error message* Re: Mythtv is using all
> inputs, but there are no active recordings*, and read and tried
> everything on the Internet about this.  I noticed that scanning or
> fetching TV channels wouldn't work, so I signed up with
> SchedulesDirect to see if this would help, even though I don't want to
> be forced to sign up and pay for this service.  And now when I run
> Mythtv and try "Watch TV" it says "Please W…" and then goes back to
> the menu.
>
> Help!
>
> I work for CatchTheWaveTV.com, makers of The Wave, a PC designed to
> connect to TV's, and we want everything to be pre-installed, so if
> Mythtv must use this SchedulesDirect, we cannot implement it in The Wave.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Mythtv don't require you to use schedule direct,but if you want to
schedule any programs using an EPG for recording, you need it. I don't
believe eit in the US or Canada is that reliable..  Mythtv is a high end
PVR that does things no other PVR software does..It's always being
worked on and improved..
  As far as your problem goes,either you didn't complete all 4 steps on
the set-up or you have a permissions problem..