[mythtv-users] Can't get it to work

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 23:03:43 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Mark Tiddens
<tiddens at jumpingdolphins.com> wrote:
> Thanks much!  I will keep fooling with it to get it to work per the help,
> but it does sound like something we can't deploy en masse.  All we wanted
> was a TV viewer that gets all channels.  As I initially noted, TVtime does
> channels in the hundreds but not the channels in the thousands.  Maybe we
> can get Tvtime to extend to these channels...

<again, please, please, please bottom post on our list.  Please don't
top post any more!>

tvtime is for use with analog framegrabbers.  Your lower channels are
likely analog, and channels with logical mapping > 126 will be digital
channels.  tvtime will not work for digital tuners or channels.
Understanding these basic concepts is going to be key in rolling out
any product like this.  I am not attempting to be insulting, just want
to advise you that getting someone who understands basic digital and
analog cable methodologies, and the limitations in attempting to
tune/record/display them, will be key if you hope to succeed
commercially at this.  More importantly, most of the digital channels
will be encrypted, meaning you have little or no chance of tuning them
in Linux without an external cable box and/or analog capture device
such as the PVR-150 or Hauppauge HD-PVR.

Robert