[mythtv-users] Output to h.264

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Aug 5 17:19:48 UTC 2010

  On 8/5/2010 12:49, mike at grounded.net wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 12:45:10 -0400, John Drescher wrote:
>>>   Rather than output on a video card, other than locally for setting up
>>>   etc, I would rather output all SD and any HD video to h.264 to network.
>>>
>>   What exactly do you mean by this? That does not make sense to me.
>>   John
> What it means is that rather than outputting video from the mythtv box itself, I would prefer to put the different video outputs as h.264 streams onto the Ethernet. This way, I could simply use a set top box and tune into what ever I want from where ever I want this is on the lan.

H.264 is a compression format.  There are no provisions for audio,
streaming, or network protocols.  You need to do a bit more research.
Network protocols would be things like RTSP, RTP/RTMP, or HTTP.  You
need to figure out what device you want to use, what network protocols
it supports, what container formats it supports, what audio formats it
supports, and what format restrictions it places on H.264 video.