[mythtv-users] Output to h.264

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 18:41:56 UTC 2010

> So basically, I would install, say my local TV/Cable tuner card as just one back end.
> I would do the same thing with say my DVB-S2 card and now would have two backends.

Probably more appropriate to put the two tuners in one backend. Or 5
tuners in one backend.

> As I have not played with mythtv yet, I am getting the sense that the reason
> why my post is unclear is that when one builds a separate front and back
> end, the two need to talk together and A/V needs to stream between them.

Try not to think in terms of A/V. I would consider this more of a data
transfer; request and fulfillment.

> If this is right, then it means that mythtv already encodes to something which a UPnP device could pick up over the LAN.

When the UPnP device requests it, yes, Myth will send data to it. The
UPnP is not picking anything up; it's receiving the data that it
requested -- data that is sent directly to it, and nowhere else. If
you have a second UPnP device request the same channel, a second
stream will be sent to the second device (creating twice the LAN
traffic).