[mythtv-users] Output to h.264

mike at grounded.net mike at grounded.net
Thu Aug 5 19:12:17 UTC 2010

> You're going to need a paradigm shift. LAN isn't like coax where all
> the channels are transmitted all the time. (I suppose you could stream
> all the channels all the time on a gigabit LAN, but that would be

I called it 'channels' for lack of proper term.

> service; your tuners and backends are idle until a frontend (either
> Myth or a UPnP client) requests a video feed. Then the backend wakes
> up, turns on the tuner, and starts sending data to the frontend. When

Yes, on demand is exactly what I am looking for. I think my term 'channels' is coming from all of the IPTV materials I've been reading. I came across an article that talked about using mythtv backend's as feeds to a linux based iptv server which in turn outputs the various feeds on their own IP 'channel' otherwise known as it's unique RTP port.

Then one can use an IPTV STB to 'tune' into which ever stream they are interested in. This is where I've come across some of the terms I'm using, until I better understand mythtv.

> Since you mention 15 feeds, you will probably want to use a much
> smaller number of backends, each with many tuners. This will not only
> save power but reduce overall system complexity (and time spend
> creating/maintaining it).

That's exactly what I plan to do otherwise would have too many servers on for this to bother with.

Mike