[mythtv-users] Output to h.264

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Aug 5 20:09:16 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 3:59 PM, mike at grounded.net <mike at grounded.net> wrote:

> > Why would you even consider using all that old hardware?  Even a large
> > chassis with 16 blades could be easily overpowered by a $600 single
> > processor, 6-core desktop.  Can you even plug that blade chassis into a
> > normal 15A socket?
>
> You lost me, I'm not sure what you're talking about. I said I have these
> old chassis running single task services and have a lot of the blades turned
> off. From what I've read, it sounds like there is not a lot of processing
> powered required on the back end when using cards which do the encoding
> themselves. As to how they are connected, not sure how that plays in but
> everything is redundant power supplies, some are 115VAC, while some of my
> larger servers are quad 220VAC.

I think what he is saying is that keeping that old equipment around is not
logical.  A single machine running VM's could do the same work as the entire
chassis and would cost less to operate and likely be more reliable.

His comment about the power is more a joke than a meaningful question...
that chassis is burning a lot of electricity and doing little work.

You could likely get one of those blades to work as a backend... however I
certainly wouldn't want to use it to process the video in anyway (commercial
flag or transcoding)  If you aren't doing that, then there is no reason you
couldn't use one or two as your back ends.  However I'd bet that you
have 3-5 year old desktop PC's that would make a better backend...
especially if you want to use PCI or USB capture devices.