[mythtv-users] Output to h.264

mike at grounded.net mike at grounded.net
Thu Aug 5 20:15:54 UTC 2010

> Not really like VOIP that is a live stream, not a recording.  More like
> playing an MP3 from a file server.

Semantics at this point :). Just like voip, say voicemail or any other streaming service, it sits idle until requested then the packets begin to flow RTP style.

> All UPNP does is play back a file on a remote device... that file may still
> be being recorded when you started playback... but your not playing a live
> stream directly from the capture device.

Right, so that's probably why I've been meshing TV terms then. I did live Internet streaming way back in the mid 90's, now I'm reading about IPTV and this week, decided that I wanted to know more about mythtv so pardon me as I get up to speed :).