[mythtv-users] Output to h.264

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Aug 6 11:27:57 UTC 2010

mike at grounded.net wrote:

> So the question is, would I be better off building one backend, which I can
> even add more cards to down the road or two low power backend servers which I
> won't be able to add anything into later. Power wise, the low power machines
> cost much less to run than even one of the IBM servers. But expandability
> wise, the IBM seems like a better idea and I would still be setting up the
> intended plan of having backend and front end.

This is a question you don't really need to ask just at the moment. Get
something going that works, first. It might be a single box that acts as both
front and back end, it might be two boxes. More would probably add much extra
complexity you just don't need at the moment.

I can tell you something that everyone else here has found out the hard way: You
are almost certainly guaranteed to be running different hardware after you have
discovered how Myth works, and how you would like it to fit into your lifestyle.

This means that you are going to toss most of your hardware and start again,
probably only retaining the recordings you originally made which you would like
to keep (and the associated database entries). Bear that in mind.

What you build first is more or less in the way of a feasability study. Once you
play around with that, you will have a much better idea of how things function
and what Myth makes possible.

--

Mike Perkins