[mythtv-users] Plans for front & back end Myth boxes

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sun Aug 8 22:05:15 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jessica Perry Hekman" <jphekman at arborius.net>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 1:30 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Plans for front & back end Myth boxes

 http://www.retrevo.com/support/Philips-27PT543S-TVs-manual/id/278dj493/t/2/

>Right now, I would really like to just buy an Acer Revo for my front
end, as that seems to be what people here recommend. However, it does
not have s-video out.

>The TV also supports RCA and composite, and I'm fine with using either
of those. (Would either of them work with the Acer, with some sort of
converter?)

Your TV also takes component which should give you the best quality from what you have.

A good cheap option (especially if you have one already) would be to find a good quiet second old Pentium say 2-3G, 1-2G RAM box
with a 512M NVIDIA 8400 or 8500 or 9400 or 9500 PCI or PCI-Express with the "S-Video" component break out adapter, (and DVI to cater
for any future unexpected winnings) for a frontend.  http://www.sparkle.com.tw/ gives a well presented range of examples.   I put
S-video in quotes because while the socket look at first glance to be S-Video its not, searching the web can clarify as it is
generally (incorrectly) referred to as S-Video also.  A remote and IR device might be a consideration also.

http://www.buy.com/prod/gyration-gyr4101us-air-music-remote-with-lcd-display-motionsense-and/q/loc/111/207964449.html was recently
pointed out and is probably a great option.  (Want to buy 2 and ship the second to me, as they wont ship/sell to New Zealand!!!??
Happy to pay.)

Aesthetics and quietness add cost.....