[mythtv-users] combined frontend/master backend can't connect to master backend server

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 16:36:25 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I tried to use my mythbox and had an error I have never seen before.
> I have a single combined frontend/mbe box and when it starts up, the
> screen say "Could not connect to the master backend server -- is it
> running? Is the IP address set for it in the setup program correct?"
> I get a similar issue when I go to mythweb: "Error Unable to connect
> to the master backend at 127.0.0.1:6543. Is it running?"  I definitely
> have the backend running and it is on the same box, so the IP should
> work (I have never had this issue with the backend running before and
> have been using since .14, so although it would probably be better to
> assign a hostname, I know that is not the issue).
>
> I just repaired the database using the optimize script, double-checked
> that the service was running, and restarted mythfrontend with the same
> issue.
>
> Any ideas?

I used my most recent database backup (which was less then a day old)
and replaced my database with that and rebooted this am and now
everything seems to be working.  Although, I am starting to wonder if
I have hardware issues (potentially a HD about to fail) because I have
been getting very weird performance issues.  It is a 4+ year old
system, so that would not be all that surprising.