[mythtv-users] SOLVED PS3 doesn't see Mythtv / upnp

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Tue Aug 10 17:41:09 UTC 2010

On 10 Aug 2010, at 17:05, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 10, 2010 08:43:24 am Andre wrote:
>
>> Just to add to the fun lots of my neighbours only turn their routers on
>> every now and then, the permutations are horrific in a building with only
>> 9 apartments, although the buildings either side have some (extra 7 or 8)
>> networks visible too! Most are on the same channel 12, must be "great"
>> using those networks ;-)
>
> The channel numbering system creates the false impression that there are 12 or more available channels, when in fact there
> are only 3, all the rest overlap. The result is the total mess we have now, and the worse one we are heading for quickly.
>

>> Currently 5Ghz is completely free but not for long I'm sure, even 5Ghz N
>> doesn't give me glitch free wireless HD on my laptop, cabled is fine, it
>> does mean that ordinary network tasks work properly though.
>
> The problem is TCP/IP is too good, retransmissions and other problems are transparent to the user. Only sensitive
> applications like VOIP or video will see problems due to the added latency of retransmissions.
>
> Most people think their WiFi network is "working" if they can go to MySpace or Twitter. Since most home internet
> connections are much slower than the local network, it takes a really major problem to be noticed by most consumers.

DNS is also affected badly but as most ISP's have a severely overloaded or partially broken DNS, many domestic routers drop udp dns so there's a delay before tcp is tried so even that isn't immediately apparent or more precisely Joe Public is used to that being slow.

Pretty sorry state all round, I'm pretty disgusted with most people's Internet connections, mine's fine of course :-)

> Non 2.4 Ghz. systems (802.11N or even 802.11A) are better, but as you point out, this situation will not last for long,
> and it's not a solution for visiting laptop users, E-Readers or smartphones, since none of those use anything but 2.4 Ghz.
> WiFi. It's only a solution if you control every device you want to use, and are willing to pay more to get off 2.4Ghz.

All my regular visitors (that would want wifi) have 5Ghz gear, Macs and high end PCs have had standard 5Ghz for ages. A visitor from the US last week was able to reliably get his baseball fix streamed to his iPad over 5Ghz, we tried the 2.4Ghz and that was unwatchable.