[mythtv-users] HD-PVR Channel Changing Inquiry

Christian Szpilfogel chrisznews4 at rogers.com
Wed Aug 11 12:04:47 UTC 2010

On 10/08/2010 9:18 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Christian Szpilfogel
> <chrisznews4 at rogers.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 03/08/2010 9:05 AM, Johnny Walker wrote:

>>> I also recommend using the '-g GUID' option since if either the STB or
>>> your backend restart the NODE can change. The GUID will also allow you
>>> to control 2 different STB's, should you decide to add another one
>>> later.
>>>
>>> One can obtain the GUID by reviewing the output of plugreport
>>>
>> Absolutely. And depending on how predictable your USB discovery performs you
>> may also have to create a udev rule for each HD-PVR so that it comes up on a
>> consistent /dev device. On reboots, mine would swap every once in a while
>> between video0 and video1 which of course meant that I would end up changing
>> the channel on one device and record from the other!
>>
> For what its worth, on a Fedora 13 host, out of the box, I have:
>
> $ ls -l /dev/v4l/by-id/
> total 0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Aug  6 00:45
> usb-AMBA_Hauppauge_HD_PVR_00A21089-video-index0 ->  ../../video0
>
> The 00A21089 part is the unit's serial number.

Yes. I think that may be generally true. I also wrote a "how-to" at the
linhes wiki which may be a good starting point for others.
Link to the how-to:
http://www.linhes.org/bugs/projects/linhes/wiki/Predictable_video_assignment_for_HD-PVR_using_udev

Some of the udev mount points and and links to it may be different in
other distros so someone using this how-to should take that into account
and verify your current mounts and links. For example, on Linhes (which
is arch based), the hd-pvr mounts in /dev/v4l/videoX (where is a digit)
and links /dev/videoX to it.

I only just wrote this prompted by own reply above yours and figured if
I made a statement like that I should document it. :)