[mythtv-users] Best STB channel changing, IR blaster?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Aug 13 20:21:53 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Chris Finley <debenbain at gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the easiest/most reliable method for changing channels on a set-top
> box? Is it still using IR Blaster? I have read the wikipages, but the dates
> on them are pretty old.
> I have Comcast, Hauppauge PVR 500, pcHDTV 5500 and a Motorola STB DCH70/2081
> - standard definition, but I plan to get a HD capable one soon.
> I don't have an external serial port. Do the USB blasters work well?

The "eHome Infrared Transceiver" aka "MCEUSB" devices work quite well.
And as of 2.6.36, have an in-kernel driver, no more out-of-tree lirc
driver. Several other usb-based transceivers exist, but none are as
simple to get working, nor as inexpensive.

> I noticed that Hauppauge (WinTV-HVR-2250) has an IR Blaster; a more
> expensive route that I would consider if it is the best solution.

Not sure if the blaster part on those works under Linux yet.

> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116036

Oh. That 2250 actually comes with an MCEUSB device, its not an onboard
IR blaster. You can buy the MCEUSB transceiver (with remote)
stand-alone for $25-30 from newegg.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com