[mythtv-users] possible frontend?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Aug 13 23:20:55 UTC 2010

On Friday, August 13, 2010 05:13:54 pm Tyler T wrote:
> > Short of a machine with no moving parts at all, I doubt that you will
> > ever get two people to agree on what "silent" means,
>
> Even then! The DC-DC 12v-to-ATX power supply in my FE makes noticeable
> oscillator noise, and it has no moving parts. ;)

Good point, switching power supplies can "hum" or vibrate at the chopper/inverter frequency, especially if the laminations
on inductors or transformers are not properly potted.

Anyone who has ridden on one of the newer AC motor NYC subway cars has probably noticed the inverter whine.

I suppose nothing electronic truly has "no moving parts", at least not if you count electrons.