[mythtv-users] Help choosing new tuner.

Nathan S mysmartev at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 16:25:41 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I have been having trouble with my PVR500 when I enable both tuners where
the system just reboots every so often.  I have had this in several machines
for quite a long time and tried changing the latency but no luck.  No on top
of that I need to use the DTA boxes from Comcast (yes I needed to do this
for several months now)  So, unfortunately I am at the point where I need to
fix it or toss it.  I REALLY do not want to toss it.

I have Comcast in Chicago, but do not have any premium channels, nor HD.
Can anyone suggest which tuner to buy to read the unncrypted digial signals
as provided by comcast wo using the DTA?  (I don't need to start messing
with IR to control an external box.)  The machines that I have available
only have PCI, not PCIx.

The machines I have available are a Dual Opteron 64 bit or Dual Athalon 32
bit, or P4 2.6GHz.  They are all a bit old.  I am leaning to the opteron
machine as the back end and the p4 as the frontend.  Which has been working
fine, except for the reboots when I have two tuners enabled.  The front end
has been fine with XVMT enabled.  I am on the latest mythbuntu with KDE as
well.

So if you can suggest a tuner or two for the above it would really be
appreciated.  Ideally two tuners, but it is irrelevant if this is via one or
two cards at this point.  Also if you have any tips or specific pages for
setting up the hardware/channels that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nathan.