[mythtv-users] Combined Atom FE/BE /w GT220 ?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Aug 19 17:14:05 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 08:57:40AM -0700, Gabe Rubin wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 7:39 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

> >> I meant to also ask about Flash playback in case I ever want to use
> >> hulu or flash with mythnetvision.  Do you have a basis to compare
> >> there?
> >
> >    Flash? Flash for stuff like Hulu is unusable on an ION box.
> >
> >    On Linux, all Flash decoding is done in software including things that
> > could have been partially done in hardware on older hardware. For Hulu, you
> > need to get something more along the lines of a Mac mini with a nice fast
> > CPU.
> >
> >    Hulu will stutter badly and pretty much be unwatchable on an ION box.
>
> I realize that.  I was asking about the 45W Sempron chips.

    2 of those cores might be able to cope. Flash seems to run multithreaded
and can pretty much consume your entire box. It does that for an ION. I have
heard of some people overclocking their ION boxes and getting enough horses
to handle Flash/Hulu that way.

    I tried that myself but it just made the box unbootable in Linux.