[mythtv-users] uPnP and VLC Passed MythTV Testing?

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Fri Aug 20 08:32:39 UTC 2010

Looking at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/UPnP

The data on VLC seems out of date now. In the Linux version of VLC 1.1.2 uPnP has available under the Playlists (Ctrl+L) screen
"Local Network / Universal Plug'n'Play".

If I knew that I'd satisfied "Tested under Mythtv" I'd revise the page, update the VLC entry and move it up under the "UPnP-client
software:"  (From the "not yet tested" category that it now enjoys)

Suffice to say that to some brief testing it actually works impressively well for me, with VLC acting as a media browser.

VDPAU is also available for VLC with some mucking around, my mileage varied, for example it did not drop CPU use to circa 10% like
mythtv does, but it did seem to allow 1080i to be played smoothly when it previously would not.  (!)  YMMV too.