[mythtv-users] HD Homerun Prime with MythTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Aug 20 19:22:00 UTC 2010

On Friday, August 20, 2010 01:11:45 pm Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Ben Kamen <bkamen at benjammin.net> wrote:
> >> This is what bugs me most about the anti-circumvention legislation.  I
> >> wish it worked like burglars' tools laws, where using such tools to
> >> commit a crime increases the penalty for the crime, but using the
> >> tools for something which isn't illegal (e.g. picking the lock when
> >> you've locked your keys in your own car) isn't illegal.
> >>
> >> The tools exist.  People who want to use them to do illegal things are
> >> going to get them, laws or not.  The only people hurt by the
> >> anti-circumvention laws are people who want to be legit.
> >
> > Maybe, maybe not.
> >
> > Check out these links.. ESPECIALLY the 2nd link that specifically
> > mentions DVD's for fair use.
>
> The problem is that the approach being taken is that the Library of
> Congress is creating a white-list of allowed reasons to circumvent
> these locks.  Anything that they haven't considered and given a thumbs
> up is therefore forbidden.  This is completely the opposite of most
> laws, which try to say what can't be done and anything not listed can.
>
> This year they ok'd jailbreaking phones and copying portions of DVDs
> for inclusion in other published works under fair use rules.  It
> doesn't really help MythTV much.

Except that it's the Camel's nose in the tent, it admits that there are
legitimate reasons for breaking the DMCA, and especially that therefore
discussions of circumvention technology are legitimate.

Up until now even discussing ways to circumvent CSS could be considered
illegal, so since there are almost certainly educators and other fair users of
DVDs on this list, such discussions should not put the list owner(s) at any
risk.