[mythtv-users] Optical drive selection at Frontend startup

Friedrich Clausen fred at derf.nl
Sat Aug 21 15:46:00 UTC 2010

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Jason Chambers
<lists at purplish-monkey.com> wrote:
> On 21/08/2010 14:28, Friedrich Clausen wrote:
> Probably because the sr driver is the driver for CDROMs.  I've never
> seen a (non-optical) usb-drive appear as a sr* device before.  Is that
> how your system originally showed it by default, or did you make some
> adjustments to udev or something?

I have not made any udev changes and it actually shows up as /dev/sdc
*and* /dev/sr1 -

[    7.213918] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
[    7.213955]  sdc: sdc1
[    7.214560] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI disk
[    8.210965] sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 51x/51x caddy

I mount it as /dev/sdc1 but for some reason the kernel thinks the
enclosure is some kind of CDROM/DVD caddy (which it is not). Quite
bizarre.

>> It then asks me which one to use in a "select CD drive" dialogue box
>> at startup. Is there anyway I can permanently tell the Frontend to
>> only use /dev/scd0 as the optical drive? Some info
>>
>> OS - Debian Lenny
>
> Excellent choice.  Take two bonus points ;-)

:-)

> There are settings under MediaSettings for MythVideo and MythMusic to
> specify the device to use.  By default they should be both set to "default"
> so Myth has to work it out, but have you tried changing them to point to
> "/dev/scd0" instead?

Ah, that was it. I had selected a particular drive for MythVideo but I
had neglected to tell MythMusic to specifically use /dev/sr0 so that
has fixed it.

Thanks for you help!

Fred.