[mythtv-users] Audio or ALSA bug?

Douglas Choma doug at polaritylabs.com
Sun Aug 22 01:23:39 UTC 2010

  I can't tell if this is a bug or if I'm just lame (maybe both?).

I'm running r25379 from trunk.

For my "Audio output device" I've selected "ALSA:iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0"
Speaker configuration: "5.1"
I've also checked Dolby and DTS decoding

And I had (this is the part that drove me crazy) "Use internal volume
control" checked.  This setting is on the screen after the initial audio
device settings.

With the "Use internal volume control" active, I would get no audio and
tons of errors on the frontend...
####
AO: Original codec was AC3, signed 16 bit, 48 kHz, 6 channels
AO: Opening audio device 'iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0' ch 6(6) sr 48000 sf
signed 16 bit reenc 1
ALSA: Setting IEC958 status: audio
Opening ALSA audio device 'iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0'.
ALSA: SetParameters(format=2, channels=6, rate=48000,
buffer_time=100000, period_time=50000)
ALSA, Error: Channels count 6 not available: Invalid argument
ALSA, Error: Unable to set ALSA parameters: Invalid argument
AudioOutput Error: Aborting reconfigure
ALSA, Error: getBufferedOnSoundcard() called with pcm_handle == NULL!
ALSA, Error: getBufferedOnSoundcard() called with pcm_handle == NULL!
ALSA, Error: getBufferedOnSoundcard() called with pcm_handle == NULL!
ALSA, Error: getBufferedOnSoundcard() called with pcm_handle == NULL!
... repeats until crash ...
####

As soon as I turned that setting off, audio worked and no more errors.

So my questions...
1) Should it be possible to select settings that cause such serious
errors (crashes)?  I know the wiki mentions turning that off for digital
output; but it seems like maybe that setting shouldn't be available if
it's incompatible with settings on the previous page?
or
2) Do I just have something really wrong with my ALSA configuration?