[mythtv-users] Advice on LIRC blaster and receiver ?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Aug 22 14:48:45 UTC 2010

Paul wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to setup a combined FE/BE in my lounge to grab stuff from my sky
> box.  For a blaster I have thought of building a combined serial one,
> but a few posts I've seen suggest that might be problematic.  What have
> others done ?
>
> Other options are the IguanaWorks USB blaster.  Anyone else have any
> experience with this ?

I've got one of these - although I'm a Virgin customer. These units also have a
Sky mode which should handle your requirements.

http://www.redremote.co.uk/serial/index.html

I don't know if the guy is still selling these, I've had mine a while.

It does it's own encoding in a chip in the 9-pin serial plug, so it makes
programming simple: you just assign the serial port and your script pumps out
the digits/commands to the port (as ASCII) as required. Doesn't need LIRC
(although Jarod may disagree).

--

Mike Perkins