[mythtv-users] drbd, virtual host names, multiple mythbackend instances

David Shay davideshay at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 18:29:37 UTC 2010

I am trying to setup a mythtv high availability cluster. Intent is two have
two nodes, using DRBD. Would likely mirror all storage using DRBD raid-1.

I would like this to be my master backend which would currently drive one
HDHR and another one in the near future if not an HDHR-prime. I also have
two other HD-PVRs and 2 other high-def USB tuners. I had hoped to be able to
hook all of these up such that:

* 1 mysql served with a virtual IP shared between all backends/frontends.
* 1 large drbd raid-1 file pool for local shared storage across the 2
clustered backends
* 1 master backend running on a virtual IP address that floated between the
two boxes. This would also have the HDHRs attached.
* 1 local slave mythbackend on cluster server 1 serving 1 local attached
HDPVR and 1 local attached USB tuner
* 1 local slave mythbackend on cluster server 2 serving 1 local attached
HDPVR and 1 local attached USB tuner

In normal running, I would have 3 mythbackends running between the 2 boxes.
In the event of a failure of 1 server, I would only lose the devices
attached to that specific slave backend.

What's not clear to me is if it's possible to run 2 mythbackends on the same
backend, even if I want to run them attached to two different hostnames. And
if I wanted to do this, how would I? Using setting overrides?

Do I have to use virtualization to accomplish this? I'd rather not introduce
that complexity.

I know this sounds like overkill, but I've already decided to setup the DRBD
stuff for other things in the house including mysql, storage, etc.  Might as
well have HA MythTV too.