[mythtv-users] Using trunk on different distros..

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 03:55:00 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am presently re-configuring my mythtv architecture in the house.  I
>> am migrating my backend to centos, but need a mix of fedora and ubuntu
>> for my frontends..  I was always a big fan of gentoo due to the
>> flexibility, but quite honestly as I get older - I do not want to
>> spend hours _tweaking_ my OS anymore (and haven't for a couple of
>> years)..  Unfortunately, I think to get mythtv to play nice, I am
>> going to have to compile (no problem - it does not take too long)..
>>
>> My question is if anyone has successfully made a static version..  I
>> do not see the option for configure, so it may not be possible.  All
>> of my systems are the same arch, but different distros like I said, so
>> a static build that I can move to them all would be easiest I think..
>> Well, ATrpms seems to support debian as well, so maybe I will play
>> with that.  Anyone with similar experience that has a working solution
>> would be appreciated..
>
> write an rpm spec file, compile using rpm's tools, then use alien to make a deb.
>
> But I haven't compiled much since leaving gentoo (for much the same
> reasons as you). Taught me a heap, but largely stuff I no longer want
> to have to worry about...

Did not think of that..  Good idea - I've had to use alien a couple of
times for printer drivers, etc...  If I was going to do that, I guess
I could just use alien to make the available rpms into debs as well..
I just (have not tried) figured I would have issues since the package
names for required libraries are different from distro to distro..

I'll get it to work, just looking for real-world experience.  Hell -
I'm netbooting my frontends, so I may just migrate to fedora on them
and be done...  My laptops are the only FEs that use fedora
currently..   Mythbuntu just makes the setup so easy it is hard to shy
away from it  :)   Like I said - I migrated from gentoo for the
ease...

After working on rhel servers all day, I do not feel like it much when
I get home!  I am one of the isn't broke, don't fix it mindsets, so I
may just bite the bullet and spend the time to do it right once..  I
was using ubuntu on the machine that connects to my raid array, but
their _lack of_ ext4 patches made me lose 2TB of data...  Moving to
centos and xfs I guess...  Trashing data (luckily it was laptop
backups) does not make me happy...

-Greg